Rep. Lauren Underwood says she won’t seek Dick Durbin Senate seat

https://ift.tt/itNQ4GT

Capping weeks of speculation, Rep. Lauren Underwood on Monday said she won’t see Sen. Dick Durbin’s Senate seat.

“When I reflected on the way that I could best serve families in Illinois and around the country, I really decided to stay in the House of Representatives and leadership and to help the DCCC (Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee) as we seek to reclaim the majority,” Underwood told CNN’s Kasie Hunt.

Underwood would have joined an already crowded and competitive Democratic primary contest to succeed Durbin, who last month said he wouldn’t seek another term. Reps. Raja Krishnamoorthi and Robin Kelly and Lt. Gov. Juliana Stratton have already declared candidacy.

Underwood on CNN also addressed an unfavorable NBC report which claimed that Gov. JB Pritzker’s aides were trying to stop her from running for the Senate seat, presumably because Pritzker is supporting his lieutenant governor in the race. Pritzker’s aides have called the report false.

“Well, I didn’t speak to the governor, and I don’t need to speak with him, but what I do know is that kind of ugliness has no place in our politics,” Underwood said. “You know, Illinois voters can’t be bought, right? And this is going to be a really rigorous, competitive election. And I think the voters are excited to have a choice.

Underwood said, “absolutely not,” when Hunt asked whether Pritzker pushed her out of the Senate race.

“The work that we’re doing here in the House of Representatives is so important. When we get back in that House majority, that is how we’ll be able to stop the damage of Donald Trump’s agenda and make sure we’re protecting health care for the American people,” Underwood said.

Top Feeds

via News https://ift.tt/fEHL6Py

May 19, 2025 at 04:00PM

Leave a comment