CHICAGO (CBS) — Chicago police are warning about a string of vehicle thefts this month in the Dearborn Homes public housing complex on the South Side.
According to a community alert, at least eight times between Aug. 3 and Aug. 22, someone has broken into a locked car parked in the Dearborn Homes complex and stolen the vehicle.
Police said the thefts occurred:
- in the 2900 block of South Federal Street at midnight on Aug. 3;
- in the 2900 block of South State Street, between 7 p.m. Aug. 3 and 11:30 a.m. Aug. 4;
- in the 2900 block of South State Street, between 11 p.m. Aug. 6 and 8 a.m. Aug. 7;
- in the 2900 block of South State Street, between midnight and 7 a.m. on Aug. 7;
- in the 2900 block of South Federal Street, between 10 p.m. Aug. 11 and 10 a.m. Aug. 12;
- in the 2900 block of South State Street, between 6 p.m. Aug. 21 and 10:30 a.m. Aug. 22;
- in the 2900 block of South Federal Street, between 11:30 p.m. Aug. 21 and 11:55 a.m. Aug. 22;
- in the 2800 block of South State Street, at 6:30 p.m. Aug. 22.
Anyone with information on the thefts is asked to call Area 3 detectives at 312-744-8263.
Police advised people to park their cars in well-lit areas away from larger vehicles that might over thieves privacy to steal their car, to never leave cars unlocked, and to install anti-theft systems, and advertise them on their vehicle.
If you’re going to leave your car parked for extended periods of time, have a friend, relative, or neighbor check it periodically.
Region: Chicago,Local,City: Chicago
via Syndicated Local – CBS Chicago https://ift.tt/AC8rmfe
August 24, 2022 at 04:55PM