CHIEF OF STAFF
Illinois State Representative Denyse Stoneback
Salary Range: $65,000 +/- DOQ
The Chief of Staff is a high-visibility strategic partner that supports the Representative with effective decision-making, project management, and execution of the District Office’s strategic initiatives. The Chief of Staff provides the organizational and communication framework for constituents, community members, and staff to implement the Representative’s vision and achieve District goals. The Chief of Staff lives in the future and focuses on long-term planning and projects to ensure the growth of the District Office and the success of the Representative.
● Manage day-to-day office operations including phone management, email correspondence, calendar scheduling, and mail management as well as managing any additional staff and volunteers completing office work.
● Manage community and constituent work, including responding to constituent questions, working with state agencies to address casework needs, coordinating community events and office hours, and engaging with constituents, elected officials and other agency and government staff.
● Serve as the primary legislative advisor for Representative to help research her legislative platform and then deliver the messages of that platform to all internal and external stakeholders, including fellow legislators, members of the media, and constituents.
● Schedule and plan meetings, events, and communications.
● Lead cross-functional strategic initiatives, facilitate special projects, and ensure action items are executed on behalf of the Representative.
● Coordinate Representative’s media engagement, including generating content for her social media outreach, publishing an email newsletter to keep constituents informed, and completing media advisories, press releases and other documents as needed to share her work with traditional media outlets.
● Track and preserve all office correspondence, meetings, and other records as needed to comply with appropriate ethics rules.
● Operate at a tactical, strategic, confidential, and operational level, handling the oversight of projects.
● Acts as an extension of the Representative and information funnel, filter, and facilitator with internal and external stakeholders.
● Assess all inquiries directed to the Representative, determine priority and the proper course of action.
● Act as the point of contact. Triage all incoming requests for the Representative’s time and work collaboratively to ensure her calendar is aligned with the priorities of the Office.
● Proactively follow up with the Representative and provide actionable recommendations for improvement.
● Manage key relationships and build a process to track and nurture key stakeholders, constituents, and community members.
● Track high priority initiatives for the Representative to identify any potential obstacles.
● Serve as a thought partner and strategic advisor to Representative, standing in on meetings, challenging ideas and offering a different perspective, and following up on action items.
● Provide analysis, recommendations, and options to the Representative regarding high impact decisions.
● Assist Representative with proposed legislation and rulemaking.
● Attend special events on evenings, weekends, and holidays, as required or needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Considerable tact, diplomacy, confidentiality, and initiative to move important District agendas forward.
● Outstanding critical thinking skills and judgment to build effective and inclusive relationships and partnerships.
● Considerable diplomacy coupled with the intellectual inclination to think both broadly – understanding institutional issues and priorities, and operationally – grasping and pursuing the steps needed to bring ideas to fruition is required.
● Experience in working strategically and collaboratively.
● Attention to detail and ability to multi-task different projects and priorities.
● Reliability, organization, and willingness to perform necessary tasks and hours to meet deadlines.
● Knowledge of other languages is a plus.
● Positive working attitude and willingness to be a team player.
● Experience in working with boards and leadership across government, philanthropy, foundation, business, and/or nonprofit sectors.
● Demonstrated cross-cultural competence, including strong emotional intelligence and the ability to engage and build relationships within a community and with historically marginalized communities.
● Excellent written, verbal, and oral communication skills.
● Familiarity and experience with Google Suite and social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, Political Science, or similar area. Master’s Degree is preferred. Three (3) or more years of relevant work experience. Prior government work experience is preferred. Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Full-time benefits consistent with state employment, including health insurance, pension, deferred compensation, and paid time off.
Please send cover letter and resume to Jennifer Lin, Interim Chief of Staff, at email@example.com.
September 7, 2021 at 05:17PM